High School Unit III
Activity 2: Extended Research
Use books and online resources to find out more about:
- conflict between skilled and unskilled workers in the nineteenth-century labor movement.
- nineteenth-century labor activists such as Ira Steward, Kate Mullaney, Samuel Gompers, and Mary Kenney O’Sullivan.
- the relationship between the woman’s rights and labor movements.
- the relationship between the labor movement and immigration patterns. (Use the search tools on Mass Moments website to find stories about immigration to Massachusetts.)
- attitude of mainstream union leaders towards African American workers? Towards women workers?
- onditions for child workers in nineteenth and early twentieth century Massachusetts.
- history of child labor laws in Massachusetts and other states.
- status of child labor around the world today (regulations, abuses, and efforts to improve conditions)