High School Unit II
Activity 1: Nineteenth-Century Women Activists
After students have familiarized themselves with the first five Mass Moments essays featured in this lesson and Documents HS II-7 through HS II-11, discuss as a class:
- How did each of the women (Fuller, Stone, Foster, Grimké, Alcott, and Luscomb) contribute to the cause of woman’s rights?
- What motivated them?
- What preconceptions about women did they face?
- What did they have in common? How were they different?
- What conclusions can be drawn from the answers to questions #1 - 3?
- What other reform movements were these women involved in? How might that have influenced their views on woman’s rights?